Monday, July 28, 2008

The positive side

As at least some of you out there reading this know, one of the distinctive aspects of Luther's Small Catechism was providing positive value to the 10 Commandments...they aren't just "do this because I say so" sorts of deals, but rather provide people with a list of "thou shalts" instead of just "thou shalt nots." So, to be a good little Lutheran, I've decided to do the same with my own list. Check out the previous entry for a refresher on these.

I. Do ask me about my year. I want to talk about it - I have more stories and ideas to share than I know what to do with, and they're still being generated even after leaving my site!

II. Do be patient with me. I've been speaking Spanish, practically exclusively, for almost a year, and it's hard for me to remember that most people back home haven't had that experience. Accordingly, I do tend to pronounce things the way they are en español, and throw in bits of Spanish even when I'm working in English.

III. Do let me know what you want. I can go on and on and on and on some more about this past year: if we've got time for a 5 minute coffee talk, please let me know so I can act accordingly.

IV. Do ask me questions if something's not clear. I reference lots of weird things now, such as mate, murga, el Río de la Plata, dulce de leche, asado, etc etc etc. If you don't know what on earth I'm talking about, ask me to back up.

V. Do ask me about the culture. Uruguay is one of the most culturally rich, and unique, spots in the Americas, and I love to talk about how they do things down there.

VI. Do ask me about life and society. Again, it's a fascinating place, and life there is different than in the U.S....and I'll happily explain how and why.

VII. Do ask me about Uruguayan history and politics. I love both things, and will GLADLY share what I know with you.

VIII. Do ask me how I'm doing. The transition back to "home" from "home away from home" is tough sometimes, and it's good to be able to talk through it.

IX. Do ask me about politics. I talked about it every day for the past year over mate, after all.

X. Do treat me like you used to. If you knew me before this year, I've missed you and want to hang out when/how we can...again, I am still, for better or worse, Kevin - medio uruguayo or otherwise.

No comments: